Thursday, September 18, 2008

newborn vs. 3 year old

If someone would have asked me before I had kids "what is harder a newborn or a 3 year old?" I would have said a newborn. Afterall, they cry all the time and need a million diaper changes, and wake up in the middle of the time. I was WRONG WRONG WRONG! My 3 year old cries way more than my newborn. She causes me so much more mental anxiety than Skyler. Skyler is a wonderful baby. He doesn't sleep through the night but other than that he is simply awesome! Reagan is a 3 year old. If you have had a 3 year old you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't you can't even begin to understand the frustration and patience testing that I go through each day. I do love Reagan and we do have our moments of fun and joy, but it is still very very hard. I'm not going to lie. When does it get easier? Maybe when they go to kindergarten???

7 comments:

Jenny said...

AMEN. AMEN. AMEN. That's all I can say!

Maleen said...

My 2 and a half year old is by FAR the hardest child out of my four. She cries more than the baby by a MILE. I swear I spend all day saying, "Use your words," "Don't whine," "Go to your room," "Please give that back," etc, etc.
They really do grow out of it, at least I think. I know my oldest two don't do that, but Robyn never really went through the three year old stage. June did if I remember correctly, and she is a wonderful kid to be around now.
So hang in there, this too shall pass.

Jocee Bergeson said...

Hmmm...my newborn is harder than my 2 year old so I don't have much info on that one. Maybe I soon will. :) Good luck. Motherhood is just HARD HARD HARD!

XYZinn said...

But dont' you think 3 is SOOO much better than 2?? Scott and I were just talking the other day how much easier Ryley has become over the past few months. But also, Ryley was 2 when Kirye was a newborn, so maybe it has something to do with the newborn being in the house! Hmmm????

Mrs. Ordinary said...

If it helps, you're not alone: http://joshandshy.blogspot.com/2008/09/like-father-like-son.html

Andrea said...

just found your blog when searching on how to parent a 3 year old and a newborn (Obviously Im struggling ha!) I couldnt say which is harder but the 3 year old has definately become wild wild wild! Good luck!
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I also found your blog while searching for tips on how to parent a 3 year old and a newborn. My little one is almost a month old. I'm wondering how it's working out for you now that more months have passed.
Let us know.
Maria